Normally, I have no problems getting a really good night’s sleep, but, every now and then I find myself awake all night. Have you ever had that problem? For no apparent reason, the clock is at 2, then 3, then 4, 5 and finally at 6 I get up. Well, that happened to me last night and it was a long time since I had experienced it. None of my usual “going back to sleep” remedies worked.
At 6:00, I longed to stay in bed, but, I felt that was not the answer. I was determined to get up and have a productive day and be very loving and kind to myself.
This was my strategy!
1. Upon getting up, I had a glass of water with lemon in it. I limited my coffee to ½ cup.
2. I meditated for 20 minutes. This helped to give me energy.
3. After my meditation, I spent a few minutes thinking about if there was anything I was trying to avoid and perhaps that was why I could not sleep.
4. I sat down and made a list of what I “needed” to accomplish, because I knew without a list and/or an action plan, it would be very easy to let the day slip by. Then, I put stars by the most difficult tasks, so, I would do those first.
5. Instead of complaining about my lack of sleep, I wrote down 10 things that I am grateful for. This is a wonderful way to change your energy.
6. I drank over 8 glasses of water during the day and ate meals that were light and healthy.
7. Exercise – I forced myself to go to the gym. I did a light workout, 30 minutes on the treadmill.
8. No naps.
9. I plan on having a quiet evening and going to bed at my usual time.
Chronic sleeplessness can be serious or can be caused by a medical condition that requires a doctor’s care. But, for a sleepless night every now and then, try my 9 steps.